SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) is a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria – the types that are normally found in the large intestine – are present in the small intestine. When not functioning properly, the migrating motor complex (MMC) fails to effectively sweep intestinal contents into the colon during periods of fasting. Once in the small intestine, these bacteria proliferate and feed off carbohydrates from food, creating fermentation gases, specifically methane and hydrogen. SIBO breath testing measures these gases.
SIBO can be a cause of many health problems, including diarrhea, abdominal pain, and protein/fat malabsorption. In recent years, there has been renewed interest in SIBO since it has now been implicated in the pathophysiology of certain diseases previously not classically associated with overgrowth. The World Journal of Gastroenterology claims a definitive association between irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and SIBO, suggesting that SIBO be excluded before diagnosing a patient with IBS.
- Constipation Malnutrition
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Acid Reflux
The Hydrogen/Methane breath test is a reliable and convenient method to help in assessing and classifying dysbiosis and SIBO.
BioHealth provides clinicians with high-quality SIBO testing services:
- Non-invasive breath collection
- Includes Lactulose challenge to detect bacterial overgrowth in the distal small intestine
- 3-hour collection method reveals SIBO in patients with slow transit times
- Convenient interpretive guidance right on the test result
- All done in your home
- Sample is mailed to you
- You send the completed sample back to the lab (shipping costs included)
- We contact you with the results
- Quick, easy, and painless